Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Puppy




So I don't know what in the heck I was thinking, but I had a moment of weakness/stupidity and gave into the cutest puppy in the world. We can't agree on a name, and worse, he won't stop pottying on the carpet. Since we got him on Saturday, I think he's got in his litter box three times. I am giving him one month, and if he has shown no potty progress, I am going to have to give him the boot. If anyone has any suggestions on litter training him, I will gladly listen, as I haven't got a clue. I feel like he needs more attention than a baby. On the up side, the kids adore him, he falls asleep in Savanna's bed every night, Maddox squeals and chases him every time he catches a glimpse of him, and Berkley has finally decided he just might not be scared of ALL dogs. Mike loves him as much as the kids do, so I am praying that he gets easier, and we can keep him forever!

17 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh PLEASE keep him, so when we visit we can play with him!! He is the cutest thing ever!! Good Luck.

Lindsay Cutler said...

Hey Meg!
OK...make the puppy drink lots of water and put it in the kennel. Then take it outside every 2-3 hours and keep saying 'potty' to it until it goes. With Rocky, we got to the point that we'd say the word 'potty' and he'd squat, even if he didn't have to go...it was like a trick. haha OR, look online...there are a bzillion articles on training puppies. DARLING puppy...good luck on a name!! Is it a maltese?

Starnes fam said...

Megan! You crazy girl! I TOLD you to call me if you EVER even CONSIDERED getting a puppy! I really really hope things go better for you then they did for us! He is darling!

Lara said...

You brave, brave woman! But he's really cute!

Ryan and Hailee said...

Wow you are the nicest mom, I could never give in. He is really adorable though, and so nice that the kids love him. Sorry I'm no help, I don't know anything about dogs.

connie said...

Megan, I will not tell Hayley you have a pup. She would be extremely jealous and insist I glue Libby's ashes together.

Audie said...

What a cute pup! I hope the potty training goes well. We are trying to potty train Jovie. Wish me luck! I can't give her the boot after a month. I just have to deal with her peeing on everything.

Stephanie said...

Where did you get it? Was it pricey? The dog is super cute! If you dont want it talk to me before you give it away.What kind is it?


Stephanie (andras sis)
the5bros.blogspot.com

Tara M said...

Oh Megan-not again. Remember the last time! No really, you need to do something called crate training. Worked like a charm.

Kim said...

I agree crate training is the best!! (Brad Frandsen's Mom)

Mary said...

New puppies are so fun! I hear ya on the potty training though, it's rough there for a little bit. Good Luck!

Laurie said...

Make the dog sleep in a kennel during the night as far away from you as possible so you don't hear the whining. They won't piddle in the kennel!!! In the morning, run it outside until it does its business. Then feed it and let it play for a bit. Run it outside again. Then, put it in the kennel until its bark isn't "come play with me" but a "hurry and get me because I'm going to soil my little house"!! Go get it and run it outside. If it does piddle indoors, rub its nose in it and kind of (nicely) swat his nose!! We only have had ONE accident with Spike in his 14 years! Good luck! Cute dog! You have to give him a tough name like Spike though. Little dogs need tough names! Its an ego thing you know!!!

Laurie said...

P.S.
Your kids are darling and have grown up fast!!

Becky said...

I have always been totally against a dog in the house (just one more person/thing for me to clean up after) although after we were robbed I have been wanting to get a dog in the house to scare off an intruders and keep me company when the kids are asleep and Andrew is working late. I LOVE your little puppy, and I probably would have also given in too.

Melody said...

That is such a cute dog!!! We have a "therapy dog" at work. It is a Morkie (Yorkie and Maltese mix) named Bella. I'd love to have a dog at home, but Bella gives me my fix! Good luck!

The Cooks said...

Crates, and puppy pads, the only way to go!

Summer said...

Crate training and time. It shouldn't last too long. Your kids are adorable. Adam's mom has a dog similar to yours and it is her baby. Curls up on your lap and gives lots of kisses. Remember to get lots of things for it to chew on and give puppies lots of exercise. I should take my own advice.